Posted by Medicare Made Clear
When will your red, white and blue Original Medicare member card arrive in the mail? It depends on a number of factors.
Enrollment in Original Medicare and the receipt of your member card will be automatic if you meet one of the following conditions.
- If you are turning age 65 and receiving Social Security Insurance or Railroad Retirement Board benefits, your Medicare card will arrive three months before your 65th birth month. Coverage usually begins the first day of your birthday month. If your birthday is on the first day of the month, coverage usually starts the month prior.
- If you are under age 65 and have received social security disability benefits for 24 months, your Medicare card will arrive during the 25th month you have been receiving disability benefits. Coverage starts at the beginning of the 25th month you have been receiving disability benefits.
- If you have Lou Gehrig’s disease (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis/ALS) and begin receiving your social security disability benefits, you will receive your Medicare card the first month your disability begins. Coverage also starts the first month your disability begins.
If you do not qualify for automatic enrollment, you’ll need to enroll in Original Medicare in order to receive coverage and your member card. For instance:
- If you are turning 65 and you are not receiving Social Security Insurance or Railroad Retirement Board benefits, you will receive your member card once you complete your Original Medicare enrollment. Coverage usually begins the first day of your birthday month. If your birthday is on the first day of the month, coverage usually starts the month prior. To enroll in Original Medicare, apply online at Social Security or call 1-800-772-1213; TTY 1-800-325-0778 (7 a.m. – 7 p.m., local time, Monday – Friday.
- If you have End-Stage Renal Disease, Permanent kidney failure requiring dialysis or a kidney transplant, you will receive your member card once you complete your Original Medicare enrollment. Coverage starts the first month your disability begins. To enroll in Original Medicare, apply online at Social Security or call 1-800-772-1213; TTY 1-800-325-0778 (7 a.m. – 7 p.m., local time, Monday – Friday.
- If you live in Puerto Rico and receive social security benefits from Railroad Retirement Benefits, you are automatically eligible for Part A. If you also want Part B, you need to apply for it. You will receive your new card once you complete your Part B enrollment. Fill out this Application for Enrollment in Part B.
- If you need to replace a lost or damaged Medicare card, request one online at medicare.gov or call 1-800-772-1213. TTY users should call 1-800-325-0778. Your card should arrive in the mail in about 30 days.
If you live outside the United States and its territories, contact the nearest U.S. Social Security Insurance office, U.S. Embassy or consulate, or the Veterans Affairs Regional Office (VARO) in the Philippines.
If you have a Medicare Advantage plan or other private insurance plan, your insurance card’s arrival date may differ. The best place to find information about your insurance card is to call the insurance provider directly. Call your plan’s customer service number and speak to a representative.
All Medicare enrollment guidelines must be followed to avoid late enrollment penalties.
For more information, explore MedicareMadeClear.com or contact the Medicare helpline 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227), TTY 1-877-486-2048. You may also contact Cruson Insurance Agency at (972) 896-3851 or www.crusoninsurance.com.
Not Sure What Kind of Medicare Coverage You Have? It’s in the Cards: Medicare Made Clear
Some People Get Part A & Part B Automatically: Medicare.gov
Medicare & You: Get the official U.S. government Medicare handbook.
The Cruson Insurance Agency is your single source for all of your insurance needs. Whether you're looking for health coverage, Medicare plans, life insurance, final expense plans, temporary health coverage for new employees or in between jobs, vision, dental, hearing and even pet insurance; we can help you find the coverage that best suits your needs.