Northwestern Mutual Donates For Denim
Corporate America has long frowned on wearing jeans to the office, but a fun trend has emergedTeamConnor Childhood Cancer Foundation created a new program, Donate for Denim, that allows employees to wear jeans to the office on Fridays when they make a donation to the childhood cancer organization.
Northwestern Mutual – Dallas, a financial services firm, signed up for the program in 2017 and by all accounts, Donate for Denim has already been a great success. In just one quarter, Northwestern Mutual employees donated more than $1,500 to TeamConnor. Employees contributed $5 or more for the freedom to wear denim on Fridays.
“This is a great program for companies that are looking for unique opportunities to involve their employees in philanthropic efforts without asking for large donations or a significant investment of time,” said Kathryn Copple, executive director of TeamConnor Childhood Cancer Foundation. “Donate for Denim combines the trend of relaxing dress codes with a great cause, childhood cancer, and gives the employees freedom to work in comfort.”
There are do’s and don’ts of wearing jeans in the workplace and according to LiveAbout.com, a few simple guidelines will keep everyone stylish and HR happy:
- Darker denim tends to look dressier than a light wash jean or distressed jean.
- Pairing dark denim with a pair of black dress shoes and a black or navy blue blazer looks smart.
- Short-sleeved polo shirts with dark denim pairs well with bold colors as well as cardigans over a button-up dress shirt.
- Never wear skinny jeans, baggy, ripped or torn jeans to work as these can leave the impression you do not take work seriously.
- Embellishments of any kind, such as patchwork, rhinestones, or studs are not appropriate.
- Leave the flip-flops, strappy sandals, and tennis shoes at home.
To join the Donate for Denim program, contact email@example.com.
TeamConnor hosts several events throughout the year to raise funds and awareness for childhood cancer research, including the 14th Annual III Forks Golf Classic, May 6-7, 2018; Splash Out Childhood Cancer, Summer 2018; National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month Concert, September 2018; and the 8th Annual Northwestern Mutual Clay Shoot, November 2018. For more information on how to join the fight against childhood cancer, please visit teamconnor.org or Facebook.com/TeamConnor.